An exceptionally handsome, detached, 5/6-bedroom Victorian Vicarage, secretly positioned in a mature and secluded setting with stunning tree-lined grounds of around 3.4 acres (subject to survey) and a building plot on the fringe with full planning permission for a pair of semi-detached cottages in coach house style. All located on the outskirts of popular Legbourne village, just a few minutes 'drive from Louth.
The Property Constructed in 1862 for the Reverend John Overton and designed by local architects Rogers & Marsden of Louth, the house is constructed in a mellow blonde brick with mainly multi-pane sash windows, beneath pitched and hipped main roof structures covered in slate. The original building was extended sympathetically in the late 1800's to the west, creating the superb façade which faces the south lawn. A historical assessment of the house was carried out and is incorporated into this brochure in the "History" section below. The property is positioned well back in the mature tree-lined grounds and it is likely that few residents of the village today, will be aware of this beautiful house set back behind the trees.
The house has been internally renovated and restyled by the present owners, seamlessly combining contemporary and period lifestyles and colour schemes. The magnificent reception hall has been re-instated with tessellated floor and a new hand-built breakfast-kitchen and boot/utility room has also been created. The wifi controlled gas central heating system has been re-plumbed and provides pressurised hot water via twin cylinders. There is superfast broadband with CAT 5 wiring to the rooms and grounds, a surround sound cinema room and ceiling speakers streaming sound into many rooms. A full CCTV system has been installed and a monitored alarm system.
There is an option by separate negotiation to acquire a building plot, currently with full planning permission for a pair of semi-detached cottages and a fully renovated and modernised, extended, detached gatehouse with contemporary 3-bedroom accommodation. Both are located at the southernmost extremity of the grounds and are marketed through this agency.
Accommodation (Approximate room dimensions are shown on the floor plans which are indicative of the room layout and not to specific scale)
Ground Floor Main Entrance with timber-built porch under a slate roof, quarry-tiled step, light and wide arched part-glazed door to:
Entrance Hallway A grand reception area with panelled walls, a superb, tessellated floor and a wide easy-going staircase with decorative fretwork side panels and carved newel posts leading to above. Built-in under stairs sound and video cabinet housing a comprehensive system wired to the principal rooms. Two old fashioned radiators and cupboard housing the electricity meter and consumer unit with MCB's. Rear Lobby with contrasting tessellated floor, large multi-pane sash window and door to the rear cinema room.
Cloak Room - a generous size with high wall panelling in Indigo and a white suite of low-level WC and pedestal wash hand basin. Brass coat hooks to wall plaque. Digital heating thermostat.
Drawing Room A light and elegant room with working shutters to a wide multi-sash window with seating overlooking the main lawned garden. Recessed fireplace with heavy cast back plate, wide dog grate and shaped timber pillared surround in white. Wide coving, ceiling speakers, ceiling light point and six wall light points together with a table lamp circuit. Old fashioned column radiators.
Dining Room Themed after Thomas de Beauchamp in Medieval style with French script over the picture rails and deep moulded coving. Dark floorboards, superb walk-in bay window with French doors having arched panes onto the garden and a cast iron and ceramic tiled fireplace set into a hardwood carved pillared surround with slate hearth and open grate. Arched wall alcove, ceiling light point and spotlight. Six wall light points and table lamp circuit.
Cinema Room Dual aspect with large multi-sash main window, small fireplace set into a pillared surround with flame-effect gas fire inset, ceiling spotlights and a ceiling-mounted In Focus projector facing a retractable screen. LED white and multi-coloured ceiling lights and coving.
Study/Sitting Room With two tall multi-pane sash windows and a tiled fireplace with a flame-effect gas fire set in a painted, pillared surround. Moulded coving to the ceiling with speakers, ceiling light point and two wall light points.
Breakfast Kitchen Reconfigured and refitted with bespoke in-frame units finished in Porcelain White and Pavillion Grey. Base cupboards and drawers with a large centre island, quartz "Carrera Marble" work surfaces and inset ceramic sink with ornate Period style separate brass lever taps, retractable hose and shaped spout. New economical 13-Amp Aga R3 cooking range with side alcoves, mirror back and high moulded mantle shelf. Integrated dishwasher, refrigerator and bin store. Ceiling downlighter spotlights, wall light points and wall panelling, ceiling speakers and high-level sockets for a wall-mounted TV. Wide 3-panel sash bay window facing the driveway with working shutters and built-in window seat with storage compartments beneath. Oak reclaimed parquet flooring sourced from a school, high coved ceiling and door with timeworn step down into the Boot Room. Further steps down to the semi-open plan Butler's Pantry - fitted with base and wall in-frame units to full height with cupboards, drawers, integrated wine cooler, open shelving and wine store. Quartz work surfaces and splashbacks, tessellated floor tiling, coved ceiling with downlighters and sash window onto the courtyard.
Boot Room/Utility Room Refitted with bespoke furniture in Pheasant Green paintwork, to include base units with integrated washing machine and tumble dryer, oak block work surfaces and white ceramic sink unit with brass mixer tap and oak shelves above. Tall shelved double store cupboard, recess for American style fridge freezer and period style panelling with brass coat hooks over bench seating and boot/shoe storage beneath. Wide multi-pane windows and part-glazed door to the courtyard.
First Floor The main staircase separates to lead through a shaped archway with window adjacent to the bathroom at the rear, and up to the main:
Landing T-shaped overall with two ceiling light points and newly installed painted wall panelling.
Master Bedroom A spacious double bedroom with three sash windows enjoying a dual aspect. Small arched cast iron fireplace in painted pillared surround, picture rail and coved ceiling with inset speakers. Ornate cast-iron column radiator. Door to the:
En Suite Bathroom 1 White suite comprising roll top slipper bath with chrome mixer tap and ball and claw feet; vanity unit in pale green tones with quartz marble style top and upstand, oval washbasin in white inset and curved doors to base cupboards flanking centre drawers; Period style high-level WC with cistern on ornate brackets and chrome downpipe. Travertine mosaic patterned floor and wall tiling with two inset framed LED mirrors, chrome ladder-style radiator/towel rail and digital controls for electric underfloor heating. Second door and steps down to the staircase. View from the window towards the kitchen garden and tennis court beyond. Coved ceiling with downlighter spotlights, multi-colour LED ceiling lights and speakers. Recessed travertine tiled shower cubicle with colour-changing LED lights, chrome shower mixer unit with swing-out drench head, glazed screen and door. Small cast iron fireplace in pillared surround and recessed wall mounted Aquavision TV above.
Bedroom 2 A spacious double room with moulded picture rail and coving, large multi-pane sash window, recessed bookcase in white paintwork and a cast iron fireplace in painted pillared surround. Exposed floorboards with part wash finish, radiator, ceiling speakers and superb views across the garden. Connecting door to:
Bathroom 2 (Either ensuite to bedroom 2 or accessible as a second family bathroom from the landing)
White suite of panelled jacuzzi bath with decorative glazed side screen complementing the wallpaper theme and chrome shower mixer unit with drench head over; low-level WC and Savoy wash hand basin on chrome stand with towel rail. Ceiling spotlights, speaker, part ceramic-tiled walls and combined heated towel rail/radiator.
Bedroom 3 (presently in use as a spacious ensuite dressing room to the master bedroom)
A beautifully proportioned double bedroom with radiator, coved ceiling, lovely garden views and connecting door to the adjoining master bedroom suite. Excellent wardrobe ranges with part glazed, painted, woodgrain and mirror doors.
Bedroom 4 A spacious double room enjoying alternative aspects from two windows and having a small cast iron fireplace in painted surround, moulded picture rail, coving, ceiling light point and wall light point. White Edwardian style pedestal wash basin with separate taps and centre spout. Period style cast-iron column radiator.
Family Bathroom A particularly spacious room finished in amazing Art Deco style with a decorative black and white ceramic tiled floor incorporating a central design and having digitally controlled electric underfloor heating in addition to two slender chrome designer radiators.
Contemporary flared double-ended bath with modern cascade mixer tap and complementary slender vanity wash hand basin with a flared contrasting black store cupboard beneath. Wide walk-in shower cubicle with mosaic black and white tiling on two sides, glazed L-shaped screen and chrome wall shower mixer with drench head. Deco style ceiling light, ceiling speakers, wall lights, complementary wall mirrors and matching decorative theme. Digital radio, cast iron fireplace in black painted surround and connecting door to the bedroom adjacent.
Washroom Decorated with the famous Fornasetti faces wallpaper and having a contemporary white suite of low-level, dual-flush WC with slender cistern and a suspended modern rectangular wash basin with elliptical shaped bowl, miniature single-lever tap and chrome towel rail. White ladder-style radiator and black and white ceramic floor tiling.
Bedroom 5 or Nursery/Dressing Room A spacious single or smaller double bedroom with a cast iron fireplace set into a pillared painted surround in dark silver. This room has a red-hot decorative theme in red with gold stipple and matching checkerboard finish to the ceiling. Connecting door to the family bathroom and steps set into the floor leading down through a four-panelled door into:
Bedroom 6 A double bedroom with similar decorative theme to the adjoining dressing room/bedroom to include a painted mediaeval tent effect to the Welsh ceiling with ceiling light point and two wall light points. Window overlooking the courtyard.
The immediate setting of the house comprises relatively flat landscaped parkland, orchards and vegetable plots with potting shed and two polytunnels. The principle south facing elevation of the house overlooks its immediate formal lawn which is then fenced off from a large expanse of grassland, currently used as grazing land for sheep. There is an open wire fenced, newly refurbished Tennis Court to the north end of the site.
Outside - Land, Outbuildings, Tennis Court
Generally, the boundaries are delineated by mature broad-leaved trees, which contain the grounds and separate the property physically and visually from the surrounding arable land and village-scape. The wider setting of the house is agricultural fields to the east, north and north-west as clearly visible in the aerial image on page two.
The property is approached over a long sweeping tree-lined driveway and is then shaped at the side of the house into the coach loop and parking area by the main entrance. Tall arched ledged, braced and framed double doors open into a sheltered Walled Courtyard in complementary brickwork with contrasting red brick arches and featuring a substantial four-tier circular ornate stone Fountain. Gravelled areas for flowerpots and tubs, brick paved outside dining area, pathway and climbing plants over the walls with brick walled raised flower beds.
A further pair of arched ledged and braced double doors open onto an inner roller door to the Garage with light and power. Large Stable with stable door from an arched lobby, Saddle Room with lighting, steps up to a central Loft over and Log Store adjacent to the stable which is open to one side with brick pillars and spotlighting. A smaller pair of ledged and braced arched doors, together with a single pedestrian door give access to the kitchen garden areas and the tennis court beyond. The courtyard has external lighting and a water tap.
Just beyond the courtyard there is a garden entertaining area with an impressive purpose-built brick domed pizza oven over a log store and feature stone paving incorporating a thistle and robin pattern.
The grounds are exceptional, enjoying privacy and seclusion by virtue of the long-established ornamental trees, hedges and shrubberies. A large lawn stretches before the main south-facing elevation with an elegant shaped outdoor patio area and decorative screen to the driveway. From the main lawn there are south views through the trees to the fenced grass paddock. with animal and chicken enclosures, fruit cage and 2 Polytunnels. The Hard Tennis Court is close to the house within a wire-netted enclosure and adjacent is the Fruit Orchard.
Viewing: Strictly by prior appointment through the selling agent.
Location: Legbourne is a popular and sought-after rural village less than four miles from the market town of Louth and has a thriving community spirit. There is a highly regarded primary school, a well-supported village hall with playing field which hosts many local events, a parish church, general shop, public house and many scenic walks through the attractive countryside surrounding. From Mill Lane, a waterside walk leads to the picturesque neighbouring village of Little Cawthorpe where The Royal Oak Inn, "The Splash" public house and restaurant can be found. The market town of Louth provides an excellent variety of shopping, schooling and recreational facilities to include the King Edward VI grammar school, a recently built sport complex with swimming pool, golf course, many clubs including football, tennis and athletics, a cinema and theatre. Between Louth and Legbourne the Kenwick Park leisure centre has a further golf course, equestrian centre and gymnasium.
Planning Full planning permission was granted on 16th September 2022 to erect an impressive oak framed triple garage with gym/office above and featuring a fully glazed elevation overlooking the orchard and newly refurbished Tennis Court. Full details can be found on the East Lindsey District Council planning portal by searching for application N/100/00694/22.
General Information: The particulars of this property are intended to give a fair and substantially correct overall description for the guidance of intending purchasers. No responsibility is to be assumed for individual items. No appliances have been tested. Fixtures, fittings, carpets and curtains are excluded unless otherwise stated. Plans/Maps and extracts/images from the planning application documents are not to specific scale, are based on information supplied and subject to verification by a solicitor at sale stage. We are advised that the property is connected to mains gas, water and electricity whilst drainage is to a private system, but no utility searches have been carried out to confirm at this stage. The property is in Council Tax band G.
The History of The Old Vicarage
The Old Vicarage, Legbourne is a detached country residence, located on the north-western edge of the rural East Lincolnshire settlement of Legbourne. It was built in 1861 as a 'parsonage house and offices' in connection with the local Church of All Saints. The house was extended at some stage between 1862 and 1889. There is a walled courtyard to its north side which includes along the northern edge, a stable and coach house with hay loft, behind which the orchard contains 20 different species of apple trees, pear trees, plums and cherries.
The long driveway lined on both side with mature broad leaved and some coniferous trees curves slightly north-eastwards and then northwards towards an original coach loop at the east side of the house. The house is almost completely hidden from view along most of the drive by the mature tree and lower shrub and hedge planting. The driveway and its tree lined planting can be seen on historical mapping dating from 1889.
In summary, the village of Legbourne has early medieval origins and is listed in the Domesday Book of 1086. The Church of All Saints forms the focal point of the historic core of the village and dates from c.1380. Rebuilding work at the church was carried out between 1865 and 1888 under the designs of architects Rogers and Marsden from Louth who also designed the Old Vicarage. The land for the Old Vicarage was part of an exchange of Glebe Land in 1861 and was previously undeveloped and formerly enclosed land. Some phasing of the house has taken place notably the west extension, which is thought to have been completed by 1889. The tree lined sinuous drive is a constant feature of the historic mapping.
Key Facts: - The Glebe land upon which The Old Vicarage was built in 1861 originally totalled 175 acres.
Designed by Clement Rogers of Rogers & Marsden Architects of Louth Who were also responsible for the design / restoration of The Church of All Saints over the same period
Originally constructed as "Parsonage and Offices" for The Rev. John Henry Overton who was also the honorary chaplain of the Louth Artillery Corps
At the time of construction, a ceremony took place along with The Rev. C A Bourne (Vicar of Fulstow), where the first brick was blessed by The Rev. John Henry Overton and laid by his sister Mrs. W Allison of Louth
The builder was Richard Ryall, the bricks came from Messers Grant & Spalding and since there was no timber growing on glebe lands that was fit for the construction, they had to bring in timber from elsewhere.
The further extension to the rear of the property was an early addition within 30 years but wasn't part of the original construction.
After the extension the substantial house accommodated the following: -
Ground floor & Cellar
Wine & Beer Cellar
Kitchen & Back Kitchen (Scullery)
Servants Bedroom with staircase into the kitchen
7No Further Bedrooms
2No Dressing rooms
No bathrooms as the baths were taken in front of the many fireplaces of which 11 working fires still remain.
Some of the bedrooms and dressing rooms later became bathrooms so 6No bedrooms now remain with the rear staircase being removed in the mid 1900's
The existing courtyard was created as a service yard for the stable and coach house.
The Rev. John Overton was married and moved into the newly completed Vicarage in 1862 and was greeted by the Legbourne inhabitants wishing them well.
The gardens were put to good use over the years hosting village gatherings each year where the guests and Sunday School Teachers played Croquet, Lawn Tennis (2No Lawn Courts and a pavilion at this time) and Quoits
Since The Rev. John Overton was the honorary chaplain of the Louth Artillery Corps. The vicarage hosted the annual visit of the members of the corps. One account in September 1877 describes how the members of the corps paraded in the field in front of the Vicarage and that a spacious tent had been erected for dinner near the tennis lawn and after dinner dancing was held on the lawn.
In 1883 The Rev. Canon Overton moved to Epworth and later died in 1903. The Vicarage was then inhabited by The Rev. Edward Clowes Who was later married to the daughter of the late T. Garfit of Legbourne in 1886 - The Lectern that was presented to the Reverend upon his marriage by the Sunday school students still remains in the Vicarage to date.
From 1889 The new Rev. Arthur Edward Low was incumbent with his wife, 3 children, 2 nephews and 3 servants. He was from Clare College in Cambridge and was also the vicar at Little Cawthorpe.
In 1905 the Vicarage was valued at £93 and still owned 175 acres of land.
Rev. Guy Warne became the incumbent in 1905.
The grounds of the Vicarage continued to feature in community usage hosting an annual sale of work in aid of the Church Missionary Society in July 1908 and again in September 1910.
The Old Gatehouse and Lodge was used by the church and parish over the years to house people under parish relief namely Mary Atkinson in 1901 who became widowed
In 1906 several fixtures were purchased for the Vicarage by means of a grant from the Queen Annes's Bounty which was established in 1704 to provide funds to poorer clergy. These were - Fireplace grates, Hat rail, small stove, kitchen cupboards and drawers, new bath and basin amongst other things.
A high turnover of Vicars during the 1920's and 1930's and less so from 1940's to 1974 when sold by the church into private ownership.
In 1939 there was more evidence of community uses of the grounds with a Village Garden Fete on the 1st July 1939 and the Legbourne Church Fete on 26th July 1952
Electricity was installed into the vicarage in 1940
There is thought to be only 3 private owners before the current vendors.
Building Plot Building plot for sale with full planning permission for a pair of semi-detached cottages in coach-house tyle complementing The Old Vicarage at the rear, in the sought-after village of Legbourne. A positive indication from the East Lindsey Council planning department suggests that permission could be gained to develop the plot for a single detached dwelling as an alternative. Mature tree lined setting, presently the southernmost grounds of The Old Vicarage.
Planning for the Plot Full Planning permission was initially granted on the 1st November 2021 for a pair of semi-detached holiday cottages, followed by approval on 10th February 2022 of a Section 73 application relating to the holiday occupancy condition.
There are conditions relating to timescale, construction in accordance with the approved plans, approval of hard surfaces, brickwork, window frames and external doors, entire completion of boundary treatments approved prior to occupation and maintenance of native hedges for a minimum of 5 years. The development shall be completed in accordance with the details contained in the Arboricultural Impact Assessment, and the Arboricultural Method Statement - Revision 2, dated 30th September 2021. Further conditions relate to any further development and water consumption.
The Proposed Cottages The accommodation indicated on the floorplans within the application drawings shows the following rooms for each property and the exterior of the proposed buildings and styling is illustrated by the CGI images.
Ground Floor Central Arch on the main west-facing elevation with inset centre panelled front door flanked by double-glazed side panels from floor level. The front door leads into an entrance lobby with cloaks storage and open on one side to a living room and on the opposite side to the dining-kitchenEach has a complementary double-glazed arch with centre French door on the main elevation opening onto the garden/patio areas. The dining-kitchen has ample space to fit a good range of units and appliances, and there is a cloakroom/WC off. The lounge is well-proportioned with alternative furniture layouts possible. A staircase has lower and upper turning kitewinder steps, with natural light from a skylight up above on the east rook slope.
First Floor On the first floor there is a landing with balustrade or screen to the stairwell and doors off to the bedrooms and bathroom.The master double bedroom has a west window, Juliet balcony to the gable and a connecting door to the ensuite shower room, which has a double-glazed skylight window. The two further bedrooms are a single and double located with window on the west elevation. The bathroom has ample space for a suite and a double-glazed skylight window above.
The gross external floor area of the combined cottages is indicated at approximately 1162 square feet or 108 square metres.
Outside The new dwellings will be approached over the driveway which is privately owned by The Old Vicarage as far as a parking area included with the plot on the east side of the drive and to the plot itself on the west side. Gardens are proposed on the west side of the plot with scope to create hard and soft landscaping to include pathways around to the main doorways
Services Applicants should satisfy themselves as to the position and accessibility of the services required to develop the plot. However, gas, water and electricity are serviced to the adjacent dwellings and to the Old Vicarage at the rear.
Easements, Wayleaves and Rights of Way: The site is sold subject to, and with the benefit of, any existing easements, wayleaves and rights of way, whether or not specifically mentioned in these particulars.
VAT: It is not anticipated that VAT will be charged, however should any sale of any part of the land or any rights attached to it become chargeable supply for the purpose of VAT, such tax will be payable by the buyer(s).
Important Information: The particulars of this property are intended to give a fair and substantially correct overall description for the guidance of intending purchasers. No responsibility is to be assumed for the accuracy of individual items. Any Plans/Maps/Images are not to specific scale, are based on information supplied and submitted planning documents all subject to verification on sale. The complete dwellings will be assessed for council tax banding following completion of the construction works.
Property Ref: 101134005928
- Handsome detached Victorian Vicarage
- Secretly located in 3.4 acre mature grounds (STS)
- 6 bedrooms, 2 ensuites and family bathroom
- Large elegant hallway with tessellated floor
- 3 reception rooms and study/sitting room
- Newly fitted bespoke dining-kitchen and boot room/utility
- Lawned gardens and grass paddock
- Walled courtyard with fountain and outbuildings
- Refurbished tennis court, orchard and fruit canes
- Building Plot with PP for a pair of cottages